Monday, February 22, 2010

Rants and Raves

It has been quite some time since I've written. Part of that is my writing style/preferences for blogging. On most days, I want my blog to be positive and professional...because I don't know who might read it. However, after reading other friends' blogs I feel it is okay to truly speak my mind.  After all, we are protected by the first amendment and my adopted mantra is to be bold, free and truthful! :)

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST is currently en route to Kalamazoo, MI. I'm anxious to get there because we will begin understudy/cover rehearsals. I'll get to work/rehearse!!!

I feel disconnected in many ways. It has been hard for me to sit in various locales and observe the show for so long. While it's been great to look at the show (macro and micro) and notate, I wasn't quite prepared for the daily anxiety and lack of rehearsal space/time. Nevertheless, now comes the time to test my mind and memory--and PLAY!

I know that I will eventually enjoy this formidable experience and return to NYC smarter and stronger. Already, I understand more about the creative process and the various components of commercial theatre. I will have traveled the country, worked with a Disney dream team and fulfilled a childhood dream! In addition, I'll be acclimatized to a long process and touring!

Reviews for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST have been very positive and nightly audiences have been full and responsive. While all of the men have been able to perform, our female swing/D.C. recently went in for an ill female ensemble member. I was in the audience recording some new choreography and must say I'm very proud of her. We haven't had much time on our feet and she stepped into the show rather effortlessly.

On other fronts, I've greatly enjoyed the opportunity to catch up with many friends! Many of you are getting married and I hope I can attend! I've appreciated save the date's, invitations and cards. For the next sixteen months, please write me at:

Tony Howell
C/O BATB Tour
7135 Minstrel Way, Suite 105
Columbia, MD 21045

I've also been doing some creative work and am in the process of developing an ongoing project. More to come later...

(((LOVE)))

Tony

Opening Night Celebration
(L to R: Carolyn Violi, Connor Gallagher, Matt West, Rob Roth, Tony Howell, Hols Fischer)

Opening Night Cakes!

Leaving our mark on Providence, RI!

2 comments:

  1. Great entry, Tony! I am really enjoying your blog. Can't wait to start understudy rehearsals this week as well. I think you will be a marvelous Lefou, and I am confident that you will do just as well as Chandon when the time comes to "swing in!"

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, I stumbled upon your blog tonight and am so glad I did! I can't believe your dream of professional touring theater has finally come true! Although I recognize I had very little influence on your journey (you were already "there" before I arrived), it doesn't mean I'm not proud of what you have accomplished! Can't wait to see what other shows will be on your resume in the near future! Take care! Fondly, Emily Smith

    ReplyDelete